Monday, December 1, 2008

Macrosomia aka "Big Baby Syndrome"

Macrosomia is the diagnosis that was written on the paperwork for my c-section. It usually goes along with moms who have gestational diabetes which thank God I do not have. While talking with Dr. C this morning I was asking her if I did something wrong. I can't help but feel like a failure since I am not able to have a vaginal delivery. I never understood it when other pregnant women said that but I do now. I feel like I can't even do what my body was meant to do. Dr. Clark said that I did nothing wrong. I didnt even gain too much weight, especially considering his size. She said that in my case it all has to do with genetics. I was an 8.5lbs baby at 36 weeks for goodness sakes. And I'm not sure if you have seen Michael but he is a pretty big guy. ;) She said that generally, the larger the baby the healthier the baby. Now let's just hope he doesn't come out at 6 lbs because then I will definitley be pissed. Honestly, I feel alot better about our decision to go the c-section route now. I think I just needed a few days to let it sink in and get over my hopes of a normal vaginal delivery. I read about a woman who tried to deliver a "Big Baby" and she ended up with her baby having a broken collar bone, then she had a broken tail bone, a fourth degree episiotomy AND ended up with a ceserean anyways. Talk about hurting!! I would rather just have one cut and for Avery to not be hurt in any way.

So there you have it...Avery is scheduled to arrive on Thursday, December 4th @ Noon.

I can't wait to hold this little boy and give him all of the huggies and kissies that he can stand! =)

2 comments:

Juli Evans said...

I think you made the right choice. I cannot wait to meet little Avery!

Stacey said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! Only two more full days until your precious baby boy will be here. It does sound like you made the right choice...