As most of you may know, Avery was diagnosed with DG Galactosemia (Duarte) at 6 weeks old. Michael and I were devastated since we didnt know too much about the diagnosis. Thank God it turned out to be DG and not Classic Galactosemia. DG is looked at as a benign disorder since Avery will never have any symptoms or effects from it. I thought that having to stop breastfeeding was the end of the world. Avery was such a good breastfeeder and I remember him really having a hard time stopping. He would cuddle up to me and I would just cry because I couldnt feed him like he wanted. After a couple of weeks of not breastfeeding, Avery was fine with the bottle and from then on DG has not affected our lives at all. Thank the Lord for that!
So today, we had a one year follow up appt with Dr. Waber of Children's Medical Center. I am so thankful for him. He really explains things well and helps calms your nerves. Avery of course was super nervous due to his crazy amount of shots yesterday. Once the nurse had me sit him on the scale he started crying and shaking. He cried while they took all of his measurements which was so sad. I couldnt believe how scared he was. Once I picked him back up he wrapped his little arms around my neck and wouldnt let go for anything. Poor baby! While Dr. Waber was talking to us Avery continously waved "bye bye" to him so that he would leave. It was sad but pretty funny. He gave us the option of doing a blood test. He said that it was basically to give parents peace of mind to go ahead with milk and dairy products. I personally feel very comfortable with our decision of giving Avery up to 8 oz of whole cow's milk per day along with soy milk. So I told Dr. Waber we would opt out of the blood test. He said that was perfectly fine since he has never seen a child with DG at 1 year of age have anything to be concerned about with their GALT levels. I was so happy to have the option not to do the blood test and one day Avery will thank me. =)
Avery was given the okay to consume any and all milk products. If anyone needs any info about DG please ask me. I would be happy to chat with ya about it. It is a very rare disorder so there is not alot of info out there about it. I would have loved to be able to speak with someone who had experienced it first hand when I first found out about Avery having DG.
So today, we had a one year follow up appt with Dr. Waber of Children's Medical Center. I am so thankful for him. He really explains things well and helps calms your nerves. Avery of course was super nervous due to his crazy amount of shots yesterday. Once the nurse had me sit him on the scale he started crying and shaking. He cried while they took all of his measurements which was so sad. I couldnt believe how scared he was. Once I picked him back up he wrapped his little arms around my neck and wouldnt let go for anything. Poor baby! While Dr. Waber was talking to us Avery continously waved "bye bye" to him so that he would leave. It was sad but pretty funny. He gave us the option of doing a blood test. He said that it was basically to give parents peace of mind to go ahead with milk and dairy products. I personally feel very comfortable with our decision of giving Avery up to 8 oz of whole cow's milk per day along with soy milk. So I told Dr. Waber we would opt out of the blood test. He said that was perfectly fine since he has never seen a child with DG at 1 year of age have anything to be concerned about with their GALT levels. I was so happy to have the option not to do the blood test and one day Avery will thank me. =)
Avery was given the okay to consume any and all milk products. If anyone needs any info about DG please ask me. I would be happy to chat with ya about it. It is a very rare disorder so there is not alot of info out there about it. I would have loved to be able to speak with someone who had experienced it first hand when I first found out about Avery having DG.
On our way out I took a picture of Avery in front of the huge Christmas tree that they have at Children's.

No comments:
Post a Comment